Follow the guidelines and use the sample letter to get the right message across.
The Cover Letter Checklist
- Always address the letter to an individual by his or her name. Do not send it to the “Hiring Manager” or “To Whom It May Concern”. Contact the company and find out who the cover letter should be addressed to.
- Clearly establish why you are writing the cover letter in your opening sentences – the position you are applying for and why you are applying.
- Express enthusiasm and confidence that you are a suitable candidate in your introduction.
- Highlight your competencies and summarize why you are the right person for the job.
- Close the cover letter with a proactive request for an interview, meeting or follow-up.
It is important to communicate these competencies to the employer in your cover letter. Remember that these behaviors apply to virtually any job situation and can be used in any basic cover letter. Emphasize those competencies that are indicated in the job posting.
You can view other key competencies that may apply to your particular job at 12 core competencies for all jobs.
Sample Basic Cover Letter
Your Contact details (phone and email)
Contact Job Title
Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms Last Name
I was excited to see your opening for an Administrative Assistant on the XYZ job website. I am confident that my background and abilities are an excellent match for the job. Please allow me to highlight my skills and competencies as they relate to your job requirements.
- X years wide-ranging experience as an administrative assistant in a fast-paced work environment
- proven computer skills with an in-depth knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- excellent verbal and written communication skills used to successfully develop presentations, write reports and draft correspondence
- recognized as a resourceful problem-solver who is able to efficiently collect and analyze information to find workable solutions
- strong organizational and planning skills ensure that I am able to accurately and consistently meet multiple project deadlines
- a hard worker who has built confidence and trust at all levels
- a committed team member who is known to go the extra mile
I firmly believe that I can make a positive contribution to your company and I have enclosed my resume to provide more information on my skills and experience. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you for an in-depth discussion and I will make myself available at your first convenience.
Thank you for you review and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Know what to include in your cover letter by fully understanding the purpose of the cover letter.
Use these well written sample cover letters to help you craft your own persuasive and professional cover letter.